Monday, September 14, 2009

Faux Enamel Butterfly

Today was a very stressful day. My job had me on the verge of tears several times. I needed to make a comfort card for me today. I used my favorite colors, and my favorite image... a butterfly. This was for the technique lovers challenge to make a faux enamel embellishment. The color for the butterfly was made using melted crayons. I used my electric skillet lined with foil. I placed my cardstock on the foil. I then drew on the cardstock and the heat melted the crayons. I removed it from the heat and covered it with glue.

This technique made me think of my cousin Alissa and my sister Shari. When we were little and lived in Phoenix AZ, in the heat of summer we would take rocks from our Granny's garden. The rocks would be so hot we would almost burn our hands touching them. We then would draw on the rocks and the crayons would melt making them so colorful. We would cover the rocks with glue to make them shiny.

After the glue was dry on my butterfly I spray painted it with a clear shiny acrylic spray. I glued glass beads for the body and added two thin strips of black cardstock for the antenea.
The base of my card was made using the retiform technique.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry you were having such a hard day yesterday, MariLynn, I hope that today is a new day with new mercies.
    Love what you're doing with your retiform backgrounds. This one is such a lovely looking card with the beaded butterfly and flourish trail.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about the tears, Marilynn. I know just how you are feeling. :( Stressful times in this industry, huh?
    Still, a beautiful card and yet another beautiful butterfly!

    ReplyDelete