Thursday, September 22, 2011

Aleene's Burned Paper Bag Leaves Tutorial

It has been a long time since I did a tutorial. I thought I would share with you how burned paper bag technique looks. I remember doing burned paper bag technique more than 20 years ago. I used a candle to heat the glue then. Now I use my heat gun and it goes a lot quicker and makes less mess.

Start with putting a puddle of Aleene's Tacky Glue, onto the paper bag.

I use a scrap piece of cardstock to smear the glue in a thin layer



I take my heat gun and I heat the glue. It will bubble and pop. I heat it until the glue is transparent.


When it cools it looks like this. It is shiny and has texture. It feels a little like leather.




Using black stazon ink, I stamped the leaf over the layer of dried glue. I used the leaf from Mark's Finest Papers set called AUTUMN GLORY.


To add color to my leaves, I took an acetate report folder and I scribbled with "Fall" colored markers onto the folder.



I dipped my paint brush into water and picked up color from the scribbled markers.



I then painted over the glue. Since I was going to cut the leaves out, I wasn't very careful about painting in the lines. I just put down the color.

This is how the leaves look when the leaves are dry.


I cut the leaves out.




I shaped the cut out leaves by folding the leaf in half lengthwise.




I further shaped the leaf by folding the sides backwards.









Here is the card that I made with these burned paper bag leaves.





11 comments:

  1. Awesome tutorial... THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well how cool is this! Thanks for sharing, I will have to try this some day! Beautiful fall creation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goodness, MariLynn,what a fun technique! I'd never heard of this before but I have to try it. The card you made with the leaves is so CAS ... after the leaves are made, that is!! =))

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's amazing! I love those leaves! I hadn't seen this technique before either!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow MariLynn this is amazing - I managed to get some Aileene's glue the other week - it is not freely available here, so must 'have a go'. Do you use the heat gun to burn the glue for flower centres, but just keep going until it is black?
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is fabulous!! I must try this :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is so cool! TFS...will try this one for sure!
    gorgeous result and gorgeous card (-:

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome - going to have to try that! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those leaves looks so real! I'm going to have to try this! Thanks for the tutorial! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the new technique -- linked to this today on my "burned paper bag leaves" card.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These leaves are amazing--I'm saving this in my faves and will definitely try it!!!
    patty...Stamp Shack

    ReplyDelete