Sunday, August 26, 2012

Pottery Class

My friend Diane is the hostess for this week's Stampin' Sisters in Christ Challenge. 
This is the scripture that she choose.

 Isaiah 64:8 Yet you, LORD, are our Father. 
We are the clay, you are the potter; we are all the work of your hand.

When I was little I took a pottery class. We kneaded the clay for a long time to get the air bubbles out, and then we used the pottery wheel to thow the pots. We had to use just the right amount of water and pressure. Too thin of walls and the pots would crack. Too thick was bad too.Sometimes, we would have to start over and rethrow the pots. When we got a pot that we liked, then they went into the kiln to be fired. 

When I am tempted to judge others, I need to remember that we are all "works in progress". God isn't done with us yet. Some of us are being kneaded, some of us are being thrown, or rethrown, some of us are being shaped by the potter's hands, and some of us are in the fire of the kiln. God's goal it to turn us into His masterpieces. His works of art.  Unfortunately, from my experience doing pottery, I know that sometimes when we put our pots into the kiln, no matter how much work we put into making them, they exploded and were worthless pieces of scrap. 

The amazing part of salvation, is that we have a choice. We can submit to God and what He wants to do with our lives, or we can go our own way. He loves us so much he gives us that choice.
 One choice leads to life however the other leads to death. 
If  you haven't made that choice, today could be the day that you choose life. If you have any questions about making that choice, you can leave a message with me or any of my Stampin' Sisters in Christ and we would all love to share with you about how we made that choice for life. 

Diane's Challenge for this week is:
 Use punches, dies, or shapes of any kind. 



These are the punches I used to make my card. I used the two on the left to make the roses. The middle punch I used to make the little black music notes. The next punch I used for the border on the left and the punch on the right is the one I used to make the two medallions on my card. The sentiment on my card is another wonderful sentiment from MY DAY DREAM DESIGNS. It is from Harvest of Gratitude Sentiments.


Check out what my Stampin’ Sisters in Christ have created to share with you.
Candace
Diane
Helen
Jerusha
Kris
Linda
Michelle
Miesje
Peggysue
Sandie
Traci
And Guest sister Yolanda.

This is the old hymn that comes to my mind when I read this scripture. I pray that you have a blessed week.

12 comments:

  1. There's something else we have in common... pottery class! :) Although I never experienced anything exploding in the kiln. But anywho, enjoyed reading your post and your card is really BEAUTIFUL! I love that you added the hymn to it, and your handmade roses are so pretty. Hope you have a blessed day and week ahead. ~Kris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful devotion and amazing card!! What a great touch to put the music sheet as a layer!! Blessings, Tracey

    http://gracescraps.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. MariLynn, this is so pretty! Love all those lacy edges. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. MariLynn, your card is beautiful. Every detail perfectly compliments all the others. Love all the shapes and punches...fabulous effects...all working together to frame the sentiment in total harmony. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always love reading your blog - you have so many interesting things to share. I really like this card. Your punches certainly did it's jobs! Great card and the colors are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marilynn - This is so pretty! You gave your punches a workout!! And I love your "wonky" stitching. Its always a challenge to sew on my cards like that (and given that I am a quilter my hands rebel against the motion!) but the result is superb. Why is that?? Sewing like that on fabric would yield less than desirable results!
    Blessings,
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  7. MariLynn this is such a sweet card - love the music, and now that hymn is running through my head :-)- it is such a lovely music.
    Thank you for sharing your potting experiences too.
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful card, MariLynn! There are a lot of elements but they came together perfectly!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Marilynn: I was having kind of a sad evening, and I'm SO glad I stopped by. Your sweet art and upbeat posts always seem to lift my spirits. Praise God!!

    I hope you will be able to link up this week at Word Art Wednesday. Your art is always such a blessing to us. Have a great week, and thanks again for uplifting. I needed it.

    Blessings,
    Karen L

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing analagy! Perfect for describing what God does with us and how our choices play into that. Your card is gorgeous! I love your little roses and what a wonderful way to use all the punches! Beautiful! Hope you're having a blessed week! ~H

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Marilynn! Your card is gorgeous! Every element is perfect! The sheet music and the notes makes me want to sing along. Your roses are so lovely!
    Bless you!
    Sandie

    ReplyDelete