Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Perserverance

For today's sketch challenge on Splitcoast Stampers, SC489  I decided to use up scraps off of my desk. Last week when I made texture paste, I took some dp and was just playing around with it. In this first photo you can see the texture paste.To make it stand out from the dp, I outlined it with a black ink pen. I also added silver inka gold metallic rub to the center of the flower.. I also added glitter to the center. There is drywall tape under the texture paste. I rubbed the silver inka gold over the background behind the flower.

This photo shows the dp that I used on the base of my card. I wanted to add some interest, so I took a silver marker and put dots in the centers of the gray diamonds. I also decorated the hexagons. I took a white prisma colored pencil and drew on the left sides of the hexagons. I then added glamour dust glitter.

 I used the silver marker to add dots to the black circle.
 One side of the card was originally just black cardstock. I decided to dry emboss it and then rub silver inka gold metallic rub over the embossed areas. Before the card was put together I originally had this side to the left and the dp on the right but I decided to flip them when assembling the card.
 The little butterfly charm and the heart brads in the corners kinda look gold in the photo, but they are pewter. It was hard to photograph with all the shine and sparkle  on the rest of the card.


There are some cards that as I am making them I love them right away. Others take a lot of work for me to like them. This card was in the latter category. I had to walk away from it several times. I am at least persistent. One thing I have learned doing mixed media is you can always keep on adding things if you don't like how they look at first. This flower had a white center... covered it up with pink... covered that up with silver... covered that up with glitter (Liked it.) Stared with plain dp...covered it with colored pencils...covered that with glitter( Liked it.)  Started with black dp... covered it with dry embossing... covered it with silver inka gold (Liked it)  I had doily behind circle... covered up bottom with a black layer (liked it) If I had stopped at any of those points and taken a photo of this card, you may or may not have liked it but I know I wasn't happy with this card until I finished it,.

2 comments:

  1. What a journey - but an amazing result MariLynn :-)
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're having a ton of fun with textures and it's working out beautifully for you! I love this one!

    ReplyDelete