Sunday, April 16, 2017

Mustard Seed Faith Challenge- 4-16-17




This week at:
THE MUSTARD SEED FAITH CHALLENGE blog
The devotion and challenge this week are about asking God for Traveling Mercies and making a travel themed card.



 I used ARTplorations Stencil called JUST FLOW 

 preview-stencil121-JustFlow
 I used white acrylic paint and glue mixed with blue markers to make the waves. I heated them with my heat gun until the glue started to bubble. When dried. I went over the top with gold metallic rub. The metallic rub really brought out the texture. 
I used STAMPlorations Stamp set called : TRUE NORTH 
 SheryRuss_TrueNorth-preview 
I added some gold metallic rub on the compass. I added burlap, cheese cloth and a gold thread to add some textile texture. 
Some of my thoughts as I was making this card... 
I was thinking about the song "It is well with my soul"
It was written by:Horatio Spafford  
 
He had been a successful lawyer, but after the great Chicago fire, and the subsequent economic downturn, he was financially devastated. He was going to take his family and return to Europe. Last minute travel plans changed and his wife and 4 daughters sailed on without him. The ship that they were on wrecked and sank. His 4 daughters died. When he was sailing to join his wife, when he went over the spot where his daughters had died, he wrote the words to this song.

When peace like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou hast taught me to knowa
It is well, it is well, with my soul.


Refrain:
It is well, (it is well),
With my soul, (with my soul)
It is well, it is well, with my soul.

Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,
Let this blest assurance control,
That Christ has regarded my helpless estate,
And hath shed His own blood for my soul.


My sin, oh, the bliss of this glorious thought!
My sin, not in part but the whole,
Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more,
Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!

For me, be it Christ, be it Christ hence to live:
If Jordan above me shall roll,
No pang shall be mine, for in death as in life,
Thou wilt whisper Thy peace to my soul.


But Lord, 'tis for Thee, for Thy coming we wait,
The sky, not the grave, is our goal;
Oh, trump of the angel! Oh, voice of the Lord!
Blessed hope, blessed rest of my soul.

And Lord, haste the day when my faith shall be sight,
The clouds be rolled back as a scroll;
The trump shall resound, and the Lord shall descend,
A song in the night, oh my soul! b

The phrase ..."thou has taught me to know" was changed to say..."thou has taught me to say" 
A slight change, but I really like how he originally put it better.
 TO KNOW IT IS WELL WITH MY SOUL. 
NOT ... to THINK it is well, 
NOT... to HOPE it is well,
but to KNOW it is well.

I have been listening a lot lately to this song by Mercy Me that uses part of "It is well with my soul" along with some new words.
 

Horatio Spafford and his wife lost their 4 daughters and they also lost 2 sons. The church that they were with thought that the suffering that he and his wife were having was because of divine punishment. It makes me sad that they had extra sufferings on top of the trials that they had. A lot of people would have just given up. Such hard times. But I love their response. They formed a group that was called "THE OVERCOMERS"
I want to be known as an OVERCOMER.. One who KNOWS that it is well with my soul.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful creation, Marilyn...and beautiful words! One of my favorite hymns....and I had forgotten the story behind it! What an act of worship to write that and to know that it was well with his soul! Thanks for that awesome reminder of reassurance that we know it is well and don't have to guess!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spafford's testimony always gets me! What a wonderful song from such a tragedy.
    LOVE all the texture you've used on your card!

    ReplyDelete